There is a popular saying - 'HEALTH IS WEALTH' . How true it is!! Sound Health is the greatest gift one can ask for, contentment the greatest wealth and faithfulness the best relationship. If you have health problems, it leads to still more problems and cause disenchantment with life. On the other hand, Good Health is a source of constant happiness and general well-being.
For maintaining good health, its essential to prevent FACTORS that derail them from starting.
A leading killer of both men and women; about a third of the heart attack victims die before they ever get to the hospital. Heart attack victims may experience a variety of symptoms including:
- Chest Pain and/or squeezing sensation of the chest
- Jaw Pain, Toothache, Headache & Shortness of breath
- Arm Pain (mostly left arm or both arms in some cases)
- Nausea, Vomiting, and/or Gastric (upper middle abdomen) discomfort
- Sweating, Heartburn & Indigestion
- Vague Feeling of malaise
In one quarter of all heart attack cases, the attack is silent, without chest pain or new symptoms. This is especially common among patients with diabetes mellitus.
How to prevent Heart Attacks?
- Follow and maintain regular physical exercise schedule. It helps secretes Endomorphin- a mood enhancer that is good for the heart
- Ensure regular healthy consumption of vegetables, fresh fruits, low-fat milk and other dairy products, grains, fish and poultry.
- Avoid weight issues and watch your weight always
- Avoid stress of any kind
- Avoid smoking and limit the intake of Alcohol
- Always know your cholesterol, LDL, HDL and triglyceride levels as well as family history of heart conditions
To maintain, strong and Healthy Bones -
- Eat a healthy well balanced diet with at least 3 serves of calcium every day. Maintain a diet that includes Calcium and Iron and essential fatty acids, Diary Products including Low Fat Milk, Low Fat Yogurt & Low Fat Cheese, Almonds, Green Leafy Vegetables & Fruits, Canned Fish with Edible Bones, and flaxseeds.
- Stay active and be engaged in any form of sport or physical activity. Strength exercise such as running or dancing, and weight-bearing exercise like weight lifting are ideal for bones
- Avoid smoking and minimize alcohol and caffeine intake at every stage.
- Avoid Long-term use of corticosteroid medications as they are damaging to bone and increase the risk of osteoporosis.
- Get your thyroid Hormone checked at regular intervals since too much thyroid hormone can cause bone loss
Diabetes (type 1 or type 2) can lead to heart disease, high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.
To prevent Diabetes -
- Maintain a healthy Diet that is low in fat, sugar and salt and contains a lot of fruit and veg. This will reduce your cholesterol levels cutting down risk of diabetes.
- Cut down on alcohol, for excess alcohol increase chances of weight gain and contribute towards the conditions that cause diabetes. Heavy drinking can also lead to ailments like chronic pancreatic, which has a side effect of diabetes.
- Be active, and involved in regular exercise which goes a long way in losing weight and reducing the risk of diabetes
- Cut down smoking completely. Smoking increases blood pressure levels, which are known to be a major cause of diabetes.
- Control your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Have them regularly checked and ensure that they are under control
Also called Hypertension, High Blood Pressure is one of the main factors that increases risk of heart disease. Very often, High Blood Pressure is a precursor to heart disease. So much that if left undetected or not controlled properly, High blood pressure can lead to heart attack, heart failure, kidney failure, stroke or premature death.
Hypertension has few early symptoms, and so it is essential to take adequate precautions to prevent it from occurring or developing into a lethal form that could prove fatal. Some necessary precautions are
Always stay physically active since it helps to prevent or control high blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. Spend at least 30 minutes for exercise from a combination of brisk walking, running, bicycling and swimming every day.
Its essential to maintain proper weight since when body weight increases, so does blood pressure. A diet of healthy meals and snacks sans high calorie foods along with regular physical exercise helps to maintain normal weight.
Your diet should -
- Include Foods that are high in nutrients, low in fat and moderate in calories.
- Include Plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Exclude food that are high in saturated fats and cholesterol
- Avoid excess salt or sodium or totally exclude them
- Avoid smoking and it will helps both your lungs and heart
- Ensure that your intake of Alcohol, if any, is moderate
- Exclude food that are high in saturated fats and cholesterol
- Get your blood pressure checked at regular intervals, all the more essential, if you’re 40 or over.
Skin is a delicate part of the body that requires adequate care and nourishment. Indian skin compared to other type of skins tends to tan and pigment easily and patchily. To avoid this, its advisable to take proper precautionary steps as follows -Mor Chemists & Druggists offers a wide
- Use an appropriate face wash that is ideal for your skin type and wash twice a day.
- Use warm rather than hot water. Also, limit the time spent in the bath or shower to not more than 15 minutes since too much time in hot water can result in your skin being stripped of oils.
- Use mild rather than strong soaps and avoid irritating additives like perfumes and dyes, especially if you have sensitive skin.
- Use mild skin lightening creams as prevention. Skin creams with botanical ingredients like Mulberry, Ginseng, Gingko, Turmeric - curcuma, Grape seed and vitamins like C and A, etc. They are extremely useful for keeping the skin mild and smooth.
- While removing make-up, use a quality oil based product to remove them else your delicate skin could be harmed.
- Use quality moisturizer product to pat your skin dry. This helps to protect it from the vagaries of the weather and also from drying up and looking dull. People with oily skin do not require moisturizer since oil-based products do not gel with oily skin. Instead water-based products can be used for such type of skin.
- Sound sleep for 6 hours daily is essential for healthy skin. Not getting enough quality sleep will make your skin look tired and older and cause bulging bags underneath your eyes.
- Plenty of physical exercise helps to reduce stress and also helps to get into sound sleep mode. Yoga and swimming are good sleep-induced exercises.
Mor Chemists & Druggists offers a wide range of quality skin care products like Complete Facial Cleansing Kits, Skin Lotions, Skin Oils, Removal Drops, Skin Vitamins,Moisturizers, etc. They contain paraben-free and preservative-free ingredients in highly concentrated amounts that protects skin from the harsh UV Rays from the Sun and other vagaries of weather as well as stimulate and nourish skin tissue, remove impurities and feed skin with essential nutrients for a healthy, beautiful skin.
Acute Stress can lead to heart attacks, cancer, and other major physical diseases and also plays a role in mental illness, such as depression and anxiety disorders.
To avoid stress -
- Maintain healthy Cholesterol & Blood Pressure
- Quit or avoid Smoking altogether & drinking too much alcohol.
- Take proper steps to control Diabetes
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Maintain a regular schedule of regular exercise
- Adhere to a regular sleep schedule.
Poor hygiene reflects badly on an individual. For it is a sign of either illness or emotional trauma or callous disregard for one's body. In an age when viruses or infections are spreading at an alarming pace straddling geographical boundaries, it has become imperative to maintain personal hygiene for they only end up improving an individual’s physical and emotional wellbeing.
Keeping oneself clean not only helps prevent the spreading of diseases, but also reduces chances of catching diseases. The importance of hygiene is not restricted to just individuals but also to the society as a whole. Healthy adherence to hygiene at individual as well as society level tells a positive picture of the society in terms of class as well as intelligence.
- Wash Hands – Clean Hands is the single most important way to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. Whether its before eating OR after using toilet OR after performing a chore OR after handling objects or items OR just coming home after a hard day's work at office or a outside sojourn. Wash for 30 to 45 seconds, scrubbing between fingers and under nails with soap or lather or lotion.
Wash Feet – Soak your feet in half an inch of soapy water, scrub your toes and the bottom of your feet with a wash cloth. This will help clean up foot fungus and other odorous or unsightly issues.
Take Regular Bath Everyday – Bacteria feed on dead skin and sweat and unwashed clothing. Take a bath under a shower OR soak in a bathtub or run a wet washcloth over your more aromatic parts, to keep your skin clean. When travelling, concentrate on your face, neck, armpits, groin area and feet.
- Maintain Clean Teeth – Negative buildup on your tongue not only makes you look disgusting, but also can be the number one cause of bad breath thanks to the bacteria that accumulate inside the mouth. So to avoid foul smell mouth and bad teeth, brush and floss your teeth every morning, after every meal, if possible, to remove any traces of food and also before going to bed. If this is done, then it will help keep your breath fresh all day.
- Ensure Clean Mouth – Flossing your mouth at regular intervals will freshen your breath, prevent gum disease and save you from paying regular visits to your dental hygienist.
Avoid Same Sponge Usage– Sponges, Cloths and scrubbers provide warm, moist conditions for trapped food or other particles to flourish on which bacteria thrive. The bacteria can multiply, increasing from a few to millions in a matter of hours.
- Same sponge or cloth usage for cleaning purposes whether for kitchen work or bathroom work or anything else should be avoided at all costs.
- Usage of a different sponge or cloth for each cleaning task in the kitchen and bathroom is recommended as well as the need for replacing the sponge at regular intervals.
- Clean the Sponge / Cloth / Scrubber with an antibacterial cleaning product and let it dry at regular intervals.
Garbage Can –
Accumulation of garbage in Garbage Can results in bacteria accumulation and growth. To prevent bacteria growth, clean and disinfect the garbage can (dustbin) once a week, and use antibacterial garbage bags (bin bags). In addition, washing or rinsing the can opener after use will help prevent problems.
Towel Change - Towels are notorious for harboring bacteria. Whether its Bath Towels or Hang Towels or any towel, replace them with clean towels after three uses.
Each person’s body is unique different from the other ones. Some bodies sweat more, some tend to have oilier hair and flakes, some have sensitive skin or deep belly buttons or hairy armpits. As such, it remains individual choice to make needed adjustments and adhere to the same to suit the way the body works.
General Tips for Ensuring Good Health
Nutrition Maintain a nutritious diet that includes -
- Glass of raw vegetable juice like carrot, amla
- Mixed Combo of Fruits & Vegetables, rich in anti-oxidants & enzymes. They help remove toxins, and digest food better.
- Wholegrain foods, rich in fibre and other nutrients
- Milk & Diary Products, an important source of calcium, essential for healthy bones and teeth. Choose low-fat or reduced-fat versions and avoid all else.
Ensure that you -
- Avoid Saturated fat and sugar
- Eat less salt
- Drink lots of water
- Never skip Breakfast
Getting adequate sources of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants through foods is the best way to stay healthy.
See your doctor
Each person has different risks of diseases based on genetics and other health history; so its recommended that you meet your doctor at regular intervals to prevent illness and stay healthy.